First Restorative Justice Centre Opens in Tower Hill

first_imgFirst Restorative Justice Centre Opens in Tower Hill JusticeFebruary 7, 2012 RelatedFirst Restorative Justice Centre Opens in Tower Hill By Toni-Ann Russell, JIS PRO FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail The first  Restorative Justice Centre  was opened in Tower Hill,  West Central St. Andrew, on February 6. This is the first of four restorative justice centres to be opened in the island as part of the Ministry of the Justice’s thrust to implement alternative dispute resolution programmes that promote social cohesion. At a ceremony to mark the opening, held at the Olympic Gardens Civic Centre, Minister of Justice, Senator the Hon. Mark Golding, in his message, said that  restorative justice is representative of participatory justice, because it requires the involvement of the victims, offenders and the community. Read by Permanent Secretary in the Ministry, Robert Rainford,  the message added that restorative justice has the capacity to repair the individual and societal damages done to communities across Jamaica, due to high levels of crime and violence. “The Ministry of Justice supports this innovative approach, one that encourages the offender to take responsibility for harmful behaviour in a meaningful way and to gain insight into the causes and effect of that behaviour on others,” the Minister said. Senator Golding urged members of the Tower Hill community to utilise the services of the centre, especially in cases where disputes have emerged and a solution is imminent. “If there is a conflict between yourself and a family member, even a conflict with a stranger, please visit the centre and try and resolve the matter,” Senator Golding urged, while pointing out that this act will help to mitigate the effects of crime and violence that arise from disputes in the communities. The Minister also informed that a Victim’s Charter is currently under revision and a submission will be sent to Cabinet to seek its approval. He  noted that the Charter is a complementary programme that will assist the restorative justice process. Restorative Justice is a new paradigm that is being introduced by the Justice Ministry. Three additional Restorative Justice Centres will be opened during this week in May Pen, Clarendon; Spanish Town, St. Catherine and  Granville, St. James. RelatedFirst Restorative Justice Centre Opens in Tower Hill RelatedFirst Restorative Justice Centre Opens in Tower Hill Advertisementslast_img read more

John Boyega on gender equality in Hollywood: “These are things we need…now more than ever

first_imgDisney(NEW YORK) — As Star Wars star John Boyega gears up for the release of his new sci-fi film, Pacific Rim Uprising, the British actor is also weighing in on the importance of inclusion riders and the changes he would like to see Hollywood make over the next few years.“I think they’ve got to fixate on who we’re hiring,” Boyega tells ABC Radio. “And I think it’s an illusion when you just try to make people in front of the camera mostly a minority, and you’re not doing it behind the scenes.”Just last week, Boyega, who gets his first production credit on Pacific Rim Uprising, revealed he’s adopting the “inclusion rider” concept, which ensures diversity in hiring both behind and in front of the camera. He believes it’s time for Hollywood to become accountable and “studios” to get on board.“We need that same knowledge, those same experiences, behind the scenes, as writers, directors, producers, and executives — those opportunities also,” he says.For Boyega, one of the most startling things about Hollywood is the lack of women behind the camera.“These are the things that we need and specifically now more than ever for women,” Boyega explains. “I always feel a little bit bad because it’s just mad — even in terms of female directors. There’s not much out there…And that’s crazy!”He continues, “A woman’s perspective on a film could be so intricate, and detailed and fantastic, and we’re not benefiting ourselves not doing that.”   Pacific Rim Uprising hits theaters Friday, March 23.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Australia’s Lyon feels unworthy after equalling Lillee mark

first_imgNathan Lyon was uncomfortable seeing himself alongside some of Australia’s greatest cricketers after he equalled Dennis Lillee’s tally of Test wickets on Thursday.Off-spinner Lyon took 3-68, a haul that saw him draw level with celebrated fast bowler Lillee’s tally of 355 Test wickets, as England were dismissed for 258 in their first innings on the second day of the second Ashes Test at Lord’s.That left Lyon equal third in Australia’s all-time list of leading wicket-takers, with only the retired duo of leg-spinner Shane Warne (708) and paceman Glenn McGrath (563) ahead of him.“I’ve always said I am not about personal milestones or personal achievements, it’s about winning Test matches and Test series for Australia,” said Lyon.“I haven’t really had the time to sit back and think about it,” added the 31-year-old who got to the mark in 88 matches — 18 more than Lillee, who played the last of his 70 Tests in 1984.The often outspoken Lyon, who prior to Australia’s 4-0 2017/18 home series win in the last Ashes campaign said he hoped the team could “end the careers” of several England players, has rarely given the impression of lacking confidence.But he insisted he felt awkward with the company he was now keeping.“I really struggle to see myself up with the likes of Warne, McGrath, Lillee, it doesn’t sit well with me,” Lyon said.“In my eyes those guys are true legends of the game and I’m just some bloke trying to bowl off breaks and trying to make Australian fans proud of the Australian cricket team.”At stumps, in a match where Wednesday’s first day was washed out without a ball bowled, Australia were 30-1 — 228 runs behind.There was no question that Australia, 1-0 up in the five-match series after their 251-run win in last week’s first Test at Edgbaston — a match where Lyon took 6-49 in the second innings – had enjoyed the better of the day’s play.But they did drop several catches and saw England recover from a woeful 138-6 despite recalled fast bowler Josh Hazlewood (3-58) and new-ball partner Pat Cummins (3-61) also taking three wickets apiece.“I don’t think we have had the best day, if I am being brutally honest,” said Lyon.“Josh Hazlewood was absolutely exceptional and the spell from Pat Cummins after tea really set the tone for us.“For our standards I don’t think we were good enough for long periods of time.“In saying that it’s still a good day for Australia. We haven’t played catch today, we can get better and that’s exciting, but we were still able to bowl England out for 258 on a day one wicket,” he added.For more sport your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.last_img read more

‘Drunkard’ Wayne Rooney to be stripped of the England captaincy

first_img Sport EN CET Wayne Rooney will be stripped of the England captaincy after getting drunk at a wedding. 17/11/2016 Rooney apologised to the coach for staying up until 5am but it will not do him any good. According to The Sun, the FA are investigating claims Rooney ignored his manager by going back to the wedding party after being told by Gareth Southgate, the interim coach, to go to bed. Southgate is expected to be appointed on a full-time basis by the end of the month and now he is planning to replace Rooney as captain. Upd. at 23:30 England drew 2-2 with Spain on Tuesday night although Rooney was not involved in the game.last_img read more

Students meet Prime Minister

first_imgTEN Casey Secondary College students travelled to Canberra to meet Prime Minister Kevin Rudd recently. The City of Casey’s 2010…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img

Parents brave dive

first_imgBy DANIELLE GALVIN THREE brave parents and siblings will take the plunge next week for the Jump to Cure to…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img

Ronan Mullarney Stays Second In The Bridgestone Order Of Merit Following Irish Amateur Open.

first_imgGalway Golf Club’s Ronan Mullarney is second on theBridgestone order of merit following his fifth place finish at the IrishAmateur Open in Co Sligo. For Mullarney, it was a case of what might have beenfollowing his opening round heroics at Rosses. He set a course record 62 tolead by four but faded over the weekend and eventually finished nine shots offthe pace. Still, sitting second in the Bridgestone table leaves him in ahealthy position. Conor Purcell from Portmarnock has moved clear following hissecond place in the same tournament that also sees him move to 21stin the World Rankings. Joe Lyons stays and fifth as Conor Purcell Leads. Elsewhere in the table, Galway’s Joe Lyons is fifthbehind Caolan Rafferty and Keith Egan. Robert Moran is sixth with RobertBrazill close behind in seventh. Eanna Griffin is tied for eighth alongside TiarnanMcLarnon and Jack McDonnell completes the top ten.The next event in the Bridgestone series is theUlster Stroke Play Championship at Galgorm Castle and Massereene. (27-28 May).print WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Emailcenter_img Ronan Mullarney who beat Matthew McClean 3&2 at the Interprovincials on Thursday in Tullamore. Despite this win, Connacht lost the match 6-5. last_img read more

It’s January and Time to Start Networking Again

first_imgThe holiday season has come to an end.  You might be all partied out, but your calendar says otherwise. It’s time to start networking again.You can do this online on sites such as LinkedIn and Facebook, or in person at an industry event. I make sure to get out at least two to three times a month, not including my speaking gigs such as the upcoming SHRM Employment Law & Legislative and Talent Conference & Exposition that I will be presenting at.Sometimes I attend HR events, including local chapter offerings.  I also make it a point at least once a month to get out of my comfort zone at business events to meet new people and expand my knowledge.Networking events are an easy way to meet new people in your industry. They are also a great way to expand your circle of friends and gain new contacts for future projects and endeavors.Get the most out of the next networking event you attend in 2018 and spend your time there efficiently. Do more than shake hands and hand out business cardsHere are five ways to build rapport and make meaningful connections at a networking event:1. Go SoloAttend the networking event alone or distance yourself from other people there that you already know. It’s harder to meet new people when you are standing in a crowd of colleagues or friends. Go solo and be the first to connect with other people there that might not know anybody else.2. Bring Conversation StartersThink of a list of topics you can chat about at the next networking event you attend. That way, when you find yourself talking to somebody new, you will be able to carry the conversation through any awkward lulls. 3. Ask QuestionsBuild rapport with people you just shook hands with at the event by asking them questions. Find out more about their jobs, their companies and even their hobbies. Show interest in them to create relationships that last even when the networking event ends.4. Set a GoalGet the most out of the event by setting a goal for the number of people with whom you want to connect. That way, If the event is an hour or two, you’ll be aware of keeping conversations short so that you can meet a variety of people.5. Arrive EarlyBe early to the event so that you can start conversations with people as they arrive. Also, locate your business cards so that they are handy.Finally, use your social networking to request a meetup. For example, you could tweet or LinkedIn message me to meet at the Legislative, Talent or Annual conference this Spring and Summer.You can reach me on Twitter at @HC3.  For more information on SHRM conferences go to the SHRM events page at https://www.shrm.org/events/pages/default.aspx. Looking forward to meeting you!last_img read more

Coalition of Tech Companies Wants to Give You Digital Due Process

first_imgTags:#Google#Government#Location#news#web Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Related Posts As CNET’s Declan McCullagh noted yesterday, ECPA is notorious for being extremely convoluted. Digital Due Process also noted that the ECPA standard are not clear (especially with regards to access to location information), that it’s not clear how the Fourth Amendment applies to new services and information and that some fo the standards are simply illogical.More ResourcesThe current lawLegal analysis of the current law from the Digital Due Process coalition (PDF)Digital Due Process wants the U.S. Congress to completely rewrite the law, but to focus on a handful of issues: access to email and other private communications stored in the cloud, access to location information, and the use of subpoenas to obtain transactional data.Here are the four ways Digital Due Process wants to modernize the ECPA: frederic lardinois A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai…center_img Better protect your data stored online: The government must first get a search warrant before obtaining any private communications or documents stored online;Better protect your location privacy: The government must first get a search warrant before it can track the location of your cell phone or other mobile communications device;Better protect against monitoring of when and with whom you communicate: The government must demonstrate to a court that the data it seeks is relevant and material to a criminal investigation before monitoring when and with whom you communicate using email, instant messaging, text messaging, the telephone, etc.; andBetter protect against bulk data requests: The government must demonstrate to a court that the information it seeks is needed for a criminal investigation before it can obtain data about an entire class of users. Google, together with Microsoft, AT&T, AOL, Intel, the ACLU, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and a number of other organizations launched a new effort to modernize the Electronic Communications Act (ECPA) today. ECPA, which was enacted in 1986, sets standards for low enforcement access to electronic communications and other data. According to this coalition of technology companies, which calls itself Digital Due Process, ECPA has been outpaced by technological advances like cloud computing and is now a “patchwork of confusing standards that have been interpreted inconsistently by the courts, creating uncertainty for both service providers and law enforcement agencies.” ECPA: Outdated and ConvolutedIn an announcement earlier today, Google specifically noted that while the ECPA was originally designed to protect citizens from unwarranted government intrusion (while still giving law enforcement the necessary tools to ensure public safety), ECPA is now completely outdated. Indeed, as Google notes, ECPA became law before most people even knew what email was and long before the “cloud” became a buzzword. Today the law gives more protection to data you store locally than to data stored in the cloud – an issue the Digital Due Process coalition is trying to rectify. The coalition also wants to ensure that government agencies get a search warrant before they can track the location of your cell phone. Digital Due Process also wants to protect citizens (and its member organizations) against unnecessary bulk data requests from government agencies. Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Marketlast_img read more

Buffon: ‘Still feel important’

first_imgGianluigi Buffon has assured that he still feels “important” for Juventus, despite his lack of game time this season. Buffon was again back-up to Wojciech Szczesny on Saturday, when Juve’s seven-game winning streak came to an end during a 1-1 draw at Lecce. The Bianconeri are still top of Serie A, however, as Inter followed up with a 2-2 draw against Parma at San Siro the same day. “You might draw from time to time, but I think it’s also fine like this,” the veteran goalkeeper told Tiki Taka. “The controversy arrives as soon as the best teams don’t win, but there’s also the other team and there are three different outcomes in football.” The 41-year-old spent last season at Paris Saint-Germain, but he stands by his decision to return to Turin. “I went to Paris because I couldn’t turn down the kind of sporting and economical offer they gave me at PSG. “When you are 40 years old and a club this big comes in for you, it’s also flattering. I wanted to gain a new experience and step out of my comfort zone. “One night when I was on my own I decided to return to Juve, asking myself: ‘At 41 years old, what am I doing here alone in Paris when my family is in Italy?’ “I forced PSG’s hand and when Juve made me their offer, that seemed the right choice so I accepted it immediately. Reports have suggested that Buffon returned to finish his coaching badges and prepare himself for life after playing, but he denied he was looking further than the ongoing trophy hunt. “Right now I’m in a psychological and physical condition where I still feel like an important player. “I haven’t yet examined my own future and I also have the serenity to psychoanalyse and evaluate my own performances. “When I realise I can’t play like I want, I will sit down with the club and tell them it’s over.” Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/last_img read more